COVID-19 Update: Burnham Law remains fully operational and available to those in need of legal help and consultations. Learn MoreCovid-19 Court Updates

Contact Burnham Law today

Call 303.647.9767 or fill out this form to get started

When we’re talking about child dependency exemptions, we’re talking
about who can claim the child as a dependent for tax purposes. The federal
rule is that the majority parent claims the child, but Colorado is a little
different. It’s based on income.

If both parents make the same, then you’re alternating each year. If one
parent makes twice as much, that means that they’re probably paying more
in child support, so they claim it two years in a row, while the parent that
receives the child support would be claiming the child every third year.
So if you pay double the amount, you can claim the child two years in a
row. If you pay triple the amount, you can claim the child three years in a
row. That’s how it works. It’s based on income in Colorado, and not just on
the overnights and the parenting time.