COVID-19 Update: Burnham Law remains fully operational and available to those in need of legal help and consultations. Learn MoreCovid-19 Court Updates

Contact Burnham Law today

Call 303.647.9767 or fill out this form to get started

You have agreed to either accept a certain dollar amount in child support,
or pay a certain dollar amount in child support. Does that mean that you’re
stuck with that dollar amount for years to come? The answer is no. You are
certainly not stuck with that dollar amount.

Child support can be modified. So long as you have a good faith basis to
show the court that you are involved in circumstances that are substantial
and continuing, you do have grounds to file a motion to modify child
support. What does that mean exactly?

Substantial and continuing

Let’s say you are temporarily laid off from your job, you get a temporary job
and you don’t expect it to last very long. This is probably not going to cut it
for the substantial and continuing change of circumstances.

About the dollar amount

Additionally, if the child support worksheet is run, and the dollar amount
rendered from that child support worksheet is just 10% less than the
current child support order, that’s not going to cut it. That’s not going to
be substantial enough for you to have a good faith basis to file your motion
to modify child support.
But don’t fear. The court understands that people’s financial situations,
health insurance situations are ever changing, and there’s always relief
available through the court system in order to get those numbers modified.