COVID-19 Update: Burnham Law remains fully operational and available to those in need of legal help and consultations. Learn MoreCovid-19 Court Updates

Contact Burnham Law today

Call 303.647.9767 or fill out this form to get started

So what do you do if you find yourself in a situation where you simply
cannot get along with your co-parent? You know it’s in the best interest of
your kids to do so, but you just cannot get along with your co-parent. There
are some options out there for you.

A parenting coordinator

First of all, you can ask the court to appoint a parenting coordinator. That
person gets involved in your case and helps the parties to resolve disputes
between each other. You can file a motion with the court to request the
appointment of a parenting coordinator.
Your co-parent can also file a motion with the court. The two of you don’t
necessarily need to agree for that appointment to take place, but it is pretty
beneficial when you can have a neutral third party help resolve disputes
between the two of you.

A decision maker

Another option is to request the appointment of a decision maker. Now in
this situation, you do need the agreement of your co-parent in order for the
court to appoint a decision maker. However, once the decision maker is
appointed, that neutral third party then helps to come to a conclusion for
the dispute and reaches a decision.

Then that decision becomes binding on your case and the existing orders
in your case. There are a number of different parenting classes that you can take out there. Love and logic type classes that you can also take in order to navigate this often very difficult road of co-parenting. Good luck.